Friday, February 03, 2006

The 50 States: Arizona


My 50-States project is receiving MAJOR ACCOLADES. (read em and weep, losers.) The DEFINITIVE voice of the Champaign-Urbana music scene's praise is enough to spur us onward -- so we continue our tour of the great 50 with Arizona!

I've begruddgingly traveled a few times to the southwestern furnace dubbed Arizona. My last trip was in the summer of 1998 and I hiked up a mountain in something like 135 degree weather. I'm not sure that this state has any grass outside of golf courses, but they do have the grand canyon which is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.

Arizona -- admitted to the union on Valentines Day, 1912 it has given us such great things as petrified wood, the second largest depository of retirees, a flippant disregard for daylight savings time, a billion canyons, seventy gazillion cactuses, London Bridge, the worlds largest solar telescope, Ceasar Chavez, Tombstone, The Apache Kid, Geronimo, Charles Mingus, Linda Ronstadt, and Kerri Strug (yup, her.)

We love you Arizona.

6 Comments:

Blogger dot said...

Oh. My. Everloving. Goodness.

Yesterday I wracked my brain looking for Arizona songs, and I googled like mad for "songs about Arizona" to very little avail. Now I find you've had the graciousness to compile a few more for me. Thanks bunches.

And really. Who needs songs about Arizona, anyway?

9:54 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Well Dot -- WE need songs about Arizona, bceause you see, without them it would be very hard to continue my 50-states project. I'd have to throw in the towel before I even got through the A's and that would be pretty pathetic. So -- the answer is that we absolutely need songs about Arizona. (Stay tuned for Rhode Island if you need an example of how bad it is going to get.)

On the other hand -- if there wasn't Arizona, then we wouldn't need songs about it. I could probably get along just fine if I woke up tomorrow and it was gone. So really .... who nees Arizona at all?

10:05 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:34 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Definitive voice, hehehe hell yeah. I wouldn't have expected Arizona to be bad, actually. It looks like you did alright though, I can't listen to these bad boys til tomorrow night most likely, so I'll catch up on the A's then. Keep on rockin' in the free world I've heard the kiddies say. So let's do that.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Arizona" by The Constantines!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from my sister's house, right off of Carefree Highway, like the old Gordon Lightfoot song, which I had to start singing just to annoy my family. While there I also heard Arizona, by Mark Lindsay, formerly of 3 Dog Night. Can't find free mp3's of either, but thanks for these! I'm sending 'em to my sister.

Mark

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Music Blog Top Sites