The 50 States: Iowa
Iowa you low, fat, agricultural beast. I drive through you constantly to get to Kansas. Your roads are straight (except for the most crooked one in the country -- pictured), your balance is strong, and you have a very odd method of influencing your might on presidential elections. I don't dislike you, Iowa.
You've given us the likes of the worlds largest strawberry, covered bridges, the worlds shortest and steepest railroad, quaker oats, a sprint car museum, Herbert Hoover, John Wayne, Glenn Miller, Winnebagos, Johnny Carson, Buffalo Bill, George Gallup, Ann Landers, and Slipknot!
We love you, Iowa.
- Halloween Alaska - Des Moines
- Wesley Willis - Iowa State Patrol
- Beck - The Water Will Take Back the Land (ok, so I might be cheating, but this has always seemed like it was about iowa)
- Polvo - Snowstorm in Iowa
- Jaco Pastorius - The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines
- Joni Mitchell w/ Minugs - The Dry Cleaner from Des Moines
- Mark Olson - It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines
- Bukka White - Boogie 'til Dubuque
- Kelly Padekooper - Not In Iowa
- The Plastic Constellations - Oh No, Iowa
- The Six Parts Seven - Iowa Was Blacknight
- Oscar Peterson w/ Manhattan Transfer - The Duke of Dubuque
- The Autumn Defense - Iowa City Adieu
- Damian Jurado - Backseat Iowa
Stick with me here, these next 3 get a little \../ and try and shake that iowa sound.
So the next songs are probably about somewhere in the UK. Doesn't matter -- let's assume they're about waterloo, ia because that fits my theme much, much better!
- Swearing at Motorists - Waterloo Crescent
- The Libertines - You Are My Waterloo
- Suede - Waterloo
- Abba - Waterloo
- Elliott Smith - Waterloo Sunset
- Jason Crest - Waterloo Road
- Old Blind Dogs - Battle of Waterloo
- The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
Next up, Kiddies, is Kansas. Drop me some Kansas love in the comments if ya'll feeling spectacular.